Marketing Made Simple
#95: How ChatGPT Can Make Your Marketing Easier
Wed Apr 12 2023
Duct Tape Marketing Podcast
00:01 - 06:05
- Shares marketing tips, tactics, and resources for small business owners and marketers.
- Interview with Jonah Berger, Wharton School Professor and author of Magic Words.
- Magic Words provides practical tactics on what to say to get your way.
ChatGPT and AI-generated content
05:45 - 11:38
- ChatGPT became the fastest growing user app of all time in just two months after its release in December 2020.
- AI generated content is there to help people do their jobs better and faster.
- "The coming change will center around the most impressive of our capabilities, the phenomenal ability to think, create, understand, and read." - Sam Altman
- Voice predictive text tool is an example of AI that helps us do things faster and more efficiently.
- ChatGPT is the same thing for marketers, helping them be more creative and efficient.
- Using ChatGPT can help organize thoughts and make conversations more productive.
- Be careful about trademarking AI-generated content as it's hard to get it trademarked exclusively.
- ChatGPT is a starting point for creativity, efficiency, and shortcuts, not the actual end product.
- The conversation is all about figuring out how to use ChatGPT in some really powerful ways by understanding what information to give it to ultimately give you what you need.
- Storybrand Certified Guides share prompts they've used to spark ideas for using ChatGPT effectively in marketing.
Using ChatGPT in Marketing
11:13 - 15:58
- Client Darren runs the Restored Leader, a leadership coaching team.
- A LinkedIn post was created to announce Darren's recent podcast appearance.
- ChatGPT was asked to write a short LinkedIn post using information from the email announcement.
- The original email announcement included details about the new Restored Leader Guidebook and how it relates to leading from a place of rest and staying connected to core values.
- ChatGPT's first attempt at a shorter LinkedIn post was deemed too fluffy and confusing.
- The final version of the LinkedIn post focused on discussing core values as a vital role in leadership, with a call-to-action to listen to the podcast episode for more insights.
Using ChatGPT for Writing
15:43 - 20:36
- Two calls to action in a LinkedIn post might be confusing, so the link to the guidebook was cut out.
- Consistency is important when posting on different platforms.
- Chat GBT is a good first draft tool but lacks context and nuance.
- People are still needed in the writing process.
- Giving as much context as possible upfront helps produce a better first draft.
- Asking Chat GBT questions can lead to even better first drafts.
- Chat GBT is not a great research tool due to its limitations and potential inaccuracies.
AI Tools for Content Creation
20:12 - 25:01
- AI tool OpenAI's GPT-3 model can help create content outlines, outreach emails, and webpage copy in seconds.
- HubSpot has introduced Content Assistant and Chat Spot to make the CRM easier to use.
- Be careful when using AI tools as a research tool. Validate your sources before using them.
- Jay used Chad JPT to craft an email for a recent agency retreat thanking attendees for attending and encouraging them to stay engaged in the community.
- The response from Chad JPT was too wordy and over-the-top even though it was casual and friendly.
Editing with ChatGPT
24:36 - 29:22
- The original response was too wordy and over the top for the speaker's style.
- Editing is the hardest part of writing, and it's important to be clear with chat GPT about what you want.
- The speaker had chat GPT shorten the response by half, which produced a much shorter version.
- The speaker made further edits to make the response more like their personal style and community.
- They changed 'keep the vibes alive' to 'keep the connection alive'.
- They removed some of the heavy-handed emojis and added a sentence redirecting attention back to community leaders.
- They included a link to the Slack channel in their edited version.
- Call-to-action is important and should be included in your check as you're editing.
Using ChatGPT for Marketing
29:08 - 33:10
- ChatGPT can help you edit your copy down and become a better editor.
- You can hire a Story Brand certified guide to clarify your message and create effective marketing.
- The actionable step for this week is to use ChatGPT to write emails and social media posts.
- Put in the prompt with a lot of information, be specific, and start creating more marketing.
- When you execute on this, you're ultimately able to guide your customers to solve their problem and make them the hero of their own story.