The John Lennon Hour
Beatles Authors Speak Out
Fri Sep 04 2015
Beatles at the Ridge Festival
- Charles Snap had a dream of revitalizing Walnut Ridge, Arkansas by creating tourist attractions and bolstering the economy.
- The festival includes a music festival, county fair, talent show, crafts, and symposium featuring respected authors and experts on the Beatles.
- "Beatles at the Ridge" is an annual festival rated as one of the 10 best places in the world to learn about the Beatles by USA Today.
- The festival celebrates the town's roots in rock and roll and its connection to The Beatles, who landed in Walnut Ridge in 1964.
Lunch and Learn Program
- An author who has written three books combining music history, stories, trivia, and recipes will be hosting a Lunch and Learn program at Beatles at the Ridge.
- The author will be sharing her work, including her new children's book called "Little Dog in the Sun."
- The Recipe Records cookbook series combines music and food with cleverly titled recipes inspired by different genres of music.
- The lunch and learn event will focus on the Beatles cookbook and a recipe for Savoy Truffles, which is also a song off the white album.
- Attendees will sample four different flavors of Savoy Truffles and enjoy trippy pink punch while listening to live music.
Something About the Beatles Podcast
- Richard Buskin and Robert Rodriguez host the podcast "Something About the Beatles."
- The podcast discusses various aspects of the Beatles' career and personal lives.
- The hosts invite knowledgeable guests to join them on the show.
- The podcast has been running for about a year and a half, with a goal of releasing two episodes per month.
- The hosts have different perspectives on the Beatles due to their backgrounds (British vs. American) but both appreciate and respect their artistry.
Live Podcast Recording at Beatles at the Ridge
- The hosts of "Something About the Beatles" will be recording a live podcast at Beatles at the Ridge.
- The content of the show will be dictated by the questions and interests of those in attendance.
- The hosts will be giving away copies of their books and a 2016 calendar featuring original artwork at the event.
Sarah Schmidt and "Happiness is Seeing the Beatles"
- Sarah Schmidt, creator of meetthebeatlesforreal.com, will be presenting about the Beatles and the Ozarks at Beatles at the Ridge.
- She will share stories of people who met the Beatles in Alton, Missouri and Walnut Ridge, Arkansas.
- Sarah has hundreds of stories on her website that have not been told in other sources.
- Her new book, "Happiness is Seeing the Beatles," is about Beatle Mania in St. Louis and their infamous concert on August 21, 1966.
Book about Beatles Concert Experiences
- The speaker is working on a book about the Beatles and is collecting stories from people who saw them in concert.
- The deadline for submitting stories is approaching, but the speaker may be able to include a few more tidbits.
- The speaker is starting a mailing list for those interested in receiving information about the book when it's released.
Raffle and Giveaways
- The speaker will have free pencils with her website name at an upcoming event and will also hold a raffle with Beatles merchandise.
- To enter the raffle, people need to fill out a form to be added to the speaker's mailing list.
- The speaker will be giving away pencils with the website meetthebeetleterreal.com on them.
- There will be a raffle with various Beatles-related prizes, including a magazine, poster, pins, and a $10 Amazon gift card.
Other Guests and Events
- Filmmaker Seth Swersky will be a guest on the program to discuss his film "Beatles Stories."
- The program encourages listeners to attend Beatles at the Ridge in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas on September 18th and 19th.
- The event offers free admission, free parking, and a variety of Beatles experts.