“Conan O’Brien: LIVE in Boston”
In this episode, the hosts introduce a shy fourth member and express excitement about being in Boston. They discuss email habits, share funny moments, and tease their guest. The guest is someone from Boston who is not a sports person. They talk about famous quarterbacks, Conan O'Brien's hair, and Jason Bateman's appearance on 'Murder Bill'. Conan shares his experience on 'Will's New Show Murder Bill' and his preference for improv over scripted shows. The hosts also discuss Conan's Christmas party, an awkward interview moment with Martin Short, favorite musical groups, comedy ethics, success in entertainment, Priceline and Rocket Money advertisements, and Conan's career. They touch on luck, gratitude, attention to detail in emails, A-list parties, and Conan's influence.
Comedy allows for outrageous and immoral jokes as long as they are not meant to endorse harmful behavior. A safe space is important for comedy to thrive.
Success in Entertainment
Success in the entertainment industry requires persistence and luck. Many performers have experienced being overlooked or undervalued before achieving recognition.
Conan O'Brien has had a significant influence on the hosts, who admire his sketches and sense of humor.
- Guest Introduction and Discussion
- Conan's Guest Appearance on 'Will's New Show Murder Bill'
- Jason Bateman and Conan's Christmas Party
- Sunglass Hut and The Smart List Podcast
- Awkward Interview Moment with Martin Short
- Favorite Musical Groups and Interview Experiences
- Comedy, Ethics, and Success in Entertainment
- Priceline, Rocket Money, and Conan's Career
- Luck, Gratitude, and Entitlement in Show Business
- Attention to Detail, A-list Parties, and Conan's Influence
00:04 - 06:44
- The hosts announce the start of the show and remind the audience to turn off their cell phones.
- The hosts discuss whether everyone turned off their phones and comment on the applause from the audience.
- The hosts introduce a fourth member who is shy and will be joining them for the episode.
- The hosts express excitement about being in Boston and thank the audience for coming despite the bad weather.
- The hosts briefly interact with the audience, asking to turn on house lights to see everyone.
- The hosts joke about their email habits, with one host emailing too much and another wanting better proofreading in emails.
- One host mentions that Sean is always quick to respond to business emails, while another host avoids conflict in those situations.
- The hosts share a funny moment from a previous day when they were eating sushi and someone made a dad joke about ordering Japanese sushi for dinner.
- The hosts mention that their guest likes to do sweaty bits during interviews and tease that they know this person well.
Guest Introduction and Discussion
06:27 - 13:40
- The guest is someone from Boston who is not a sports person.
- The host recently started liking football and finds it fascinating.
- They discuss famous quarterbacks, including Tom Brady.
- The guest is described as the opposite of Tom Brady and has lived in various cities after Boston.
- They talk about the audience's reaction to the guest's identity.
- They mention Conan O'Brien's hair and his podcast merchandise.
- The conversation shifts to Jason Bateman's appearance on another show called 'Murder Bill'.
Conan's Guest Appearance on 'Will's New Show Murder Bill'
13:23 - 19:40
- Conan made a guest appearance on 'Will's New Show Murder Bill'
- Jason's resting stance is to have his hand on his dick
- Murderville is an improv show with amazing reviews
- 'O'Brien Saves Are Net' with Murderville is a favorite headline
- Murderville is a fun show where the guest star has to improvise without a script
- Conan enjoys not having to learn lines and improvising in the show
- Conan never wanted to do a regular scripted show
- Writing sketches for other people was not frustrating for Conan as he knew he had to be himself to be funny
- Conan respected the sketch comedians he worked with and didn't envy them
- Conan appreciates being able to say what he thinks in his own show and podcast
- The hosts try to avoid getting canceled by being disciplined about what they say
- There was a touchy subject about Jason not inviting Bateman to his Christmas party
Jason Bateman and Conan's Christmas Party
19:19 - 25:45
- Conan didn't invite Bateman to his Christmas party
- Bateman found out about the party from other friends
- Conan explains that he didn't invite Bateman because he made Conan's kids uncomfortable at a previous gathering
- Conan mentions having Bob Newhart at his party and not wanting Bateman to sit across from him
- Bateman mentions playing Bob Newhart's son in a TV series
- Bateman says he couldn't make it to Conan's party due to previous engagements
- Conan jokes about Bateman not being able to make it to his party
- Sean brings up his dog Ricky and how he doesn't want to leave him alone for too long
- They talk about a tradition at their Christmas party called 'Ketch the Puppy'
- The podcast transitions into an advertisement for True Classic shirts
Sunglass Hut and The Smart List Podcast
25:23 - 32:07
- Sunglass Hut offers a special selection of sunglasses online and in-store
- The Smart List podcast features A-list guests like Will Ferrell, Conan O'Brien, Kevin Hart, Mark Cuban, Jimmy Kimmel, and Matt Damon
- Smart List on the Road is a docu-series with interviews recorded in front of live audiences
- Hosting and interviewing people is fun for Conan O'Brien
- Conan O'Brien shares a story about an awkward interview moment with Martin Short
Awkward Interview Moment with Martin Short
31:48 - 38:12
- During an interview, the host asked a model-turned-actor if she preferred modeling or acting.
- The host and Martin Short exchanged funny gestures while the guest answered the question.
- The host started laughing so hard that he bit his mouth and started bleeding.
- After the interview, the host confronted Martin Short for making him laugh during the serious moment.
- British actors are known for being great storytellers in interviews.
- In the early days of talk shows, guests were drilled to stick to the questions, but it's not how human beings interact.
- If given a time machine, both hosts would go back in time to see concerts of their favorite bands.
Favorite Musical Groups and Interview Experiences
43:11 - 49:53
- The hosts discuss wanting to see certain musical groups perform live again.
- They talk about the experience of not knowing who a guest is during an interview.
- Conan shares a story about Project Runway and how contestants react to special judges.
- Conan mentions interviewing Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor for his podcast.
- The hosts joke about the creation of the Smart List podcast and their initial doubts.
- They discuss Conan's podcast and the obligation of his staff to laugh at his jokes.
- Conan talks about the balance between comedy and editing oneself in order to be funny but not offensive.
Comedy, Ethics, and Success in Entertainment
49:31 - 56:16
- Comedy allows for outrageous and immoral jokes, but it's all in good fun and not meant to endorse harmful behavior.
- A safe space is important for comedy to thrive, where everyone feels comfortable.
- Characters like Joe from Arrested Development are despicable but absurdly ridiculous, not endorsing their behavior.
- Classic comedy often involves inappropriate behavior, but it should come from ignorance rather than intolerance.
- Motives matter in comedy - if the intention is to injure someone, it's wrong; if it's to make people laugh without harm, it's acceptable.
- Being genuine and honest on stage resonates with audiences more than trying to be cool or posturing.
- Success in the entertainment industry doesn't happen overnight; many performers have experienced being overlooked or undervalued before achieving recognition.
Priceline, Rocket Money, and Conan's Career
55:49 - 1:01:47
- Priceline offers savings on hotels, flights, and rental cars with select deals
- Priceline's VIP program allows you to unlock more benefits and bundle trips with up to five members
- Rocket Money is a personal finance app that helps find and cancel unwanted subscriptions
- Rocket Money can lower your bills and track your budget in real time
- Conan O'Brien discusses the stress of hosting his show and the negative press he received
- Andy Richter was a comforting presence for Conan during the early days of the show
- Andy Richter is physically strong and hit a home run at Yankee Stadium
Luck, Gratitude, and Entitlement in Show Business
1:01:21 - 1:07:44
- Persistence is crucial in achieving success.
- Luck also plays an important role.
- The speaker worked hard to go to college and didn't want people to have preconceived notions about their intelligence.
- Returning to Boston after years of grinding feels satisfying.
- The speaker's grandparents grew up in Worcester, Massachusetts, and had humble careers.
- The speaker receives letters with their name misspelled, indicating a lack of genuine interest.
Attention to Detail, A-list Parties, and Conan's Influence
1:07:14 - 1:13:42
- The hosts discuss the importance of attention to detail in emails.
- They express excitement about being together and having an audience after a long time.
- They mention attending parties with A-list celebrities.
- They talk about meeting Tom Brady and comment on his height.
- There is a discussion about Conan O'Brien's career and his influence on the hosts.
- The hosts reflect on their admiration for Conan's sketches and sense of humor.
- They joke about creating a monologue for the show's ending.