Transform Your Workplace
The Power of Serving with Eli Blackman
The episode discusses the importance of volunteering and employee engagement, scaling volunteer programs, the benefits of volunteerism and corporate social responsibility, the FieldDay platform for nonprofits and companies, and the benefits of the FieldDay platform for companies. It highlights how volunteering brings people together, boosts morale and job satisfaction, and helps build relationships in hybrid or remote work environments. The episode also emphasizes the role of FieldDay in streamlining volunteer program management and providing valuable data for nonprofits.
Volunteering enhances employee morale and job satisfaction
Volunteering is a great team building activity that brings people together and does good in the community. Creating a culture of giving back boosts employee morale, job satisfaction, and retention.
Scaling volunteer programs requires proper HR support
As companies grow, HR needs to scale properly to support volunteer programs. Setting goals, measuring progress, and involving employees in decision-making are important for program success.
Volunteerism contributes to a sense of belonging and reduces turnover
Volunteerism is strongly linked to a sense of belonging among employees. Companies that integrate corporate social responsibility into their culture experience a significant decrease in turnover.
FieldDay platform streamlines volunteer program management
FieldDay provides a platform for nonprofits to easily organize and manage volunteer events. The platform offers features like event registration, automatic reminders, and message boards, saving time and effort.
FieldDay platform benefits companies in sustaining volunteer programs
Having a platform like FieldDay allows companies to centralize and sustain volunteer programs even if key personnel leave. The platform scales well and accommodates both hyper-local nonprofits and companies with employees in different locations.
- Volunteering and Employee Engagement
- Scaling Volunteer Programs
- Benefits of Volunteerism and Corporate Social Responsibility
- FieldDay Platform for Nonprofits and Companies
- Benefits of FieldDay Platform for Companies
Volunteering and Employee Engagement
00:00 - 08:04
- Volunteering is a great team building activity that brings people together and does good in the community.
- Creating a culture of giving back to local nonprofits boosts employee morale, job satisfaction, and retention.
- Eli Blackman, co-founder and CEO of Field Day, shares how to build a workplace volunteer program from the ground up.
- The idea for Field Day came from Eli's experience at Elemental, where they started volunteering together as a small company.
- They ended up volunteering with over 30 nonprofits on a regular basis and it became a strong cultural element of the company.
- The impact on employees' morale and job satisfaction was measured and valued by the leaders of Elemental.
- Eli proposed taking Elemental's model of community engagement to other cities where Amazon had a significant employee presence.
- There was a gap in the market for platforms that help companies start and manage volunteer programs effectively.
- Field Day focuses on employee engagement in volunteering, providing tools to leverage volunteer time off and measure data.
Scaling Volunteer Programs
07:39 - 14:47
- In startup mode, companies tend to find that HR needs to scale properly around the 50-employee mark.
- Elemental went through a similar transition from startup mode to a more programmatic approach as they grew.
- The program at Elemental involved employees who owned relationships with nonprofits and organized events with them.
- Volunteer programs provide opportunities for employees to show up in different ways and gain leadership experience.
- The structure of the program included employee champions and a committee for decision-making.
- Setting goals and measuring progress is important for volunteer programs to gain visibility and participation.
- Participating in volunteer events helps employees connect with their team members on a deeper level and learn about nonprofits in the community.
- Elemental aimed to help small to medium-sized companies incorporate volunteer programs into their culture efficiently.
- Field Day, the company created by Elemental, aims to provide a technology platform for launching and scaling volunteer programs across communities.
- Volunteerism within organizations contributes to a sense of belonging, especially in hybrid or remote work environments.
Benefits of Volunteerism and Corporate Social Responsibility
14:22 - 21:49
- Hybrid or remote first workplaces are becoming more common, with three quarters of US companies either already hybrid or planning to go hybrid permanently.
- The number one challenge for leaders in these workplaces is building relationships and a sense of belonging among employees.
- Employees are experiencing fewer work friendships and are less interested in virtual coffee chats compared to in-person interactions.
- Volunteerism is strongly linked to a sense of belonging and camaraderie among employees.
- Prioritizing rest and renewal is crucial, especially with the prevalence of burnout caused by stress, uncertainty, and isolation.
- Participating in volunteer events can decrease stress levels and improve overall health for employees.
- Volunteering together as a team is considered a better type of team-building activity than alternatives like virtual happy hours or escape rooms.
- Engaging in volunteer events contributes to job satisfaction and creates a perception that the company cares about the community.
- Companies that integrate corporate social responsibility into their culture experience a significant decrease in turnover.
- Employees who participate in volunteer programs become ambassadors for the company, helping with recruitment efforts.
- Nonprofits can benefit from using platforms like FieldDay to market themselves and connect with companies, saving resources on social media advertising and content creation.
- FieldDay provides critical data for nonprofits when applying for grants, demonstrating community engagement and impact.
FieldDay Platform for Nonprofits and Companies
21:23 - 28:04
- FieldDay provides a platform for nonprofits to easily organize and manage volunteer events.
- The platform helps smaller nonprofits get the word out about their work and engage with the community.
- Nonprofits can use FieldDay's data for grant applications and fundraising.
- Traditionally, nonprofits have used manual methods or subpar technology for organizing events.
- FieldDay streamlines the coordination process between companies and nonprofits, saving time and effort.
- The platform offers features like event registration, calendar downloads, automatic reminders, and message boards.
- FieldDay focuses on collecting valuable data from running events in one place.
- Companies can create teams on FieldDay's website and invite members to find and sign up for volunteer events.
- Nonprofits can fill out a form on the website to join the platform after a quick vetting process.
- FieldDay operates on a freemium model, with additional paid tiers for enterprise features and general employers.
- The goal of FieldDay is to maximize value by centralizing content and minimizing administrative tasks.
- Having a platform like FieldDay allows volunteer programs to continue even if key personnel leave the company.
Benefits of FieldDay Platform for Companies
27:37 - 30:55
- Having a platform like FieldDay allows companies to centralize and sustain volunteer programs even if the person in charge leaves.
- FieldDay is designed to be embedded into company culture and grow over time.
- FieldDay's platform scales well, accommodating both hyper-local nonprofits and companies with employees spread across different locations.
- Individual volunteer tracking on FieldDay allows employees in different communities to enter their activities, making it inclusive for all employees.
- Companies can use FieldDay to celebrate employee engagement with nonprofits through internal recognition or external branding on social media and careers pages.