The episode covers various topics including the podcast's fourth anniversary, preparation for a colonoscopy, Tom Holland's golfing and acting career, personal life and family, filmmaking and sports, Tom Holland's interests and acting journey, his personal life and acting career, working with Robert Downey Jr. and his experience as Spider-Man, his responsibilities as Spider-Man and personal challenges, and key insights from the episode.
Confidence at a Young Age
Many people have confidence at a young age, either naturally or acquired through learning. However, some may lose confidence during quiet times, making it difficult to regain and affecting their auditions.
Tom Holland's Golfing Skills
Tom Holland is an avid golfer with a current handicap of four. He recently had some lessons to improve his game but is currently struggling with missing shots and thinning it.
Tom Holland's Acting Journey
Tom Holland's interest in acting started when he danced to a Janet Jackson song as a kid, leading to auditions and eventually landing roles in Billy Elliot and 'The Impossible'. He never stopped pursuing acting and has found success in the Marvel Universe as Spider-Man.
Tom Holland's Responsibilities as Spider-Man
Tom Holland feels pressure and responsibility to be a role model, navigate fame, and maintain a positive image. Being in a romantic relationship with Zendaya helps him handle these responsibilities.
Tom Holland's Personal Challenges
Tom Holland discusses the challenges of press junkets, dealing with misinterpreted interviews, and the pressure to post on Instagram. He also admires Jason Bateman's hair and denies his dad's claim that it's a wig.
- Celebrating Four Years and Acknowledgments
- Preparation for Colonoscopy and Health Issues
- Tom Holland's Golf and Acting Career
- Personal Life and Family
- Filmmaking and Sports
- Tom Holland's Interests and Acting Journey
- Sports and Acting Career Beginnings
- Tom Holland's Personal Life and Acting Career
- Working with Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Holland's Experience as Spider-Man
- Tom Holland's Responsibilities as Spider-Man and Personal Challenges
- Insights from the Episode
Celebrating Four Years and Acknowledgments
00:01 - 06:31
- The podcast is celebrating its fourth year
- Thanks to the listeners for their support
- Acknowledgment of the team members
Preparation for Colonoscopy and Health Issues
00:01 - 06:31
- Discussion about vocal exercises before podcasting
- Conversation about clothing choices and golfing
- One of the hosts is preparing for a colonoscopy
- Sharing stories about previous health issues
- Details about the colonoscopy procedure and timing
- Humorous anecdotes related to colonoscopies
Tom Holland's Golf and Acting Career
06:08 - 12:28
- Tom Holland is called Tommy by some people.
- Tommy has been on Willie's list for two years as a guest on the show.
- Tommy is also into golf and wears G4 shirts while playing golf.
- Tommy's brother Harry saw Jason at Bobby Jones driving range but didn't say hello because Jason was nursing an intense slice at that time.
- [Jason] heard from a mutual friend that Tommy is a great golfer and claims he's like a two.
- Tommy is actually a four in golf.
- Tommy played golf this weekend and was one over the front nine but 13 over the back nine.
- If you shoot over 80, you have no business playing golf. If you shoot under 80, you also have no business playing golf.
- Willie asks what his number would be if he played golf, estimating it to be around 130.
- Tommy confirms that he's a loose four in golf and had some lessons recently.
- Tommy started playing golf as a kid with his dad and gave up for a while before getting back into it on the set of Spider-Man 2.
- He now plays with a group of proper golfers in London who are plus one or plus two handicap.
- Tommy had some recent lessons that will ultimately make him a better player, but right now he's struggling with missing shots and thinning it.
Personal Life and Family
12:00 - 17:56
- The speaker is currently struggling with his golf game and feels frustrated.
- The interviewer compliments the speaker on his career success at a young age.
- The speaker talks about his love for the TV show Will and Grace.
- The speaker grew up in West London and still lives there with his two brothers and two friends.
- One of the speaker's brothers is a professional chef, so they get gourmet food every night.
- The house has a big TV and a drop-down screen for movies and poker nights.
- The speaker's father is a stand-up comedian who often makes fun of their family in his routines.
- All of the speaker's siblings are involved in the entertainment industry, except for one brother who is an aspiring filmmaker.
Filmmaking and Sports
17:31 - 24:13
- Harry, the younger brother of one of the speakers, is an aspiring filmmaker with his first short premiering at Tribeca.
- Helix offers a variety of mattresses tailored to individual sleep preferences and comes with a warranty.
- BetterHelp provides online therapy that helps individuals make decisions aligned with their values.
- CarMax offers instant online offers for selling cars.
- The speaker's father is a comedian with a dry sense of humor who trusts his material to be funny.
Tom Holland's Interests and Acting Journey
23:52 - 29:42
- Will does deep character comedy that I love
- Tom is known for his dry humor
- Tom took ballet lessons as a straight guy and found it useful for physical roles like Spider-Man
- Tom enjoys sports, including golf and watching soccer
- Tom is a Tottenham fan and Mark Chappell got him into Liverpool
- The atmosphere and chants in European football stadiums are impressive
- Tom also loves rugby
Sports and Acting Career Beginnings
29:17 - 35:08
- The Sunday night rugby game was an electrifying experience with a passionate crowd.
- The speaker loves rugby but not the drinking culture associated with it.
- Australian rules football is a hybrid of soccer and rugby, and matches are amazing to watch.
- Gaelic football is the Irish equivalent of Aussie rules, and hurling is another sport worth checking out.
- Hurling is like polo without horses and involves using a hockey stick to flick a wooden ball.
- Tom's interest in acting started when he danced to a Janet Jackson song as a kid, which got noticed by the headmaster of a school for an audition.
- Tom auditioned for Billy Elliot and got the gig, which led to getting an agent and eventually landing a role in the film 'The Impossible'.
- Tom never stopped pursuing acting after that point.
- Tom had natural talent for doing American accents due to being exposed to American culture from a young age.
- Accents provide an immediate departure from oneself as an actor, but doing roles in one's own accent can be challenging.
Tom Holland's Personal Life and Acting Career
35:04 - 41:05
- Tom's accent is from Southwest London, but he sounds like the people he surrounds himself with
- Tom keeps a normal circle of friends and doesn't struggle with fame and fortune
- His parents did a good job of keeping him grounded and not relying on him for financial support
- Tom plays golf with his friends to stay out of trouble
- He had a naive perspective when he started acting in big movies, but now understands the responsibility
- Tom's first TV show is an anthology series called The Crowded Room, produced by Cuba Gooding Jr.
- He auditioned for Captain America Civil War as his opportunity to showcase his talent
- Initially, there was some public skepticism about Tom being cast as Spider-Man
- Meeting the other Avengers actors was exciting and Downey Jr. set a professional tone on set
Working with Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Holland's Experience as Spider-Man
40:42 - 46:35
- Robert Downey Jr. is described as professional, respectful, and the funniest person on set.
- Tom Holland shares his experience auditioning for Spider-Man and how he found out he got the role through a leaked announcement on Marvel's website.
- Holland expresses his excitement and how much better the experience has been than anticipated.
- There is a stigma with superhero films, but Holland has enjoyed it and created a great environment on set.
- Holland reveals his childhood obsession with Spider-Man and how it was a dream come true to play the character.
- He discusses finding balance between different types of roles and mentions his involvement in the show 'The Crowded Room'.
- Holland has taken the year off and spent time playing golf at home.
- He feels pressure to be a role model but also acknowledges that he didn't ask for it.
Tom Holland's Responsibilities as Spider-Man and Personal Challenges
46:08 - 52:03
- Tom Holland feels pressure and responsibility to be a role model, but also stresses about posting on Instagram
- Being in a romantic relationship with Zendaya helps Tom Holland navigate the responsibilities of fame
- Tom Holland discusses the challenges of press junkets and maintaining a positive image
- A headline misinterpreted Tom Holland's interview about giving up drinking and having a meltdown on set
- Tom Holland admires Jason Bateman's hair and denies his dad's claim that it's a wig
- The hosts praise Tom Holland for his grounded and confident demeanor at such a young age
Insights from the Episode
51:41 - 55:12
- They always have this like swagger that's like, yeah, I'm good if we do it, I'm good if we don't.
- It's a confidence thing that many people have at a young age.
- Some people learn it or acquire it somehow.
- The speaker bought their confidence but lost it during quiet times.
- Losing confidence made it difficult for the speaker to regain it and affected their auditions.
- Tom Holland was a great guest on the podcast.
- He is a great kid who looks healthy but could use a sandwich or a juicy rib.
- There is an upcoming episode of 'Diss and Tell' about celebrity feuds between Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, and Hailey Baldwin.
- The feud started with a TikTok video of Selena talking about her laminated eyebrows.