Talk Talent To Me
Hearst Director of Talent Acquisition Tony Kochar
The episode covers various topics including Hearst Company overview, remote work and AI in talent acquisition, AI in recruitment and personal touch, recruiting and human dynamics, and a project for technical literacy in India. The topics range from company strategies during COVID, the impact of remote work on productivity, the use of AI in talent acquisition, challenges in tech recruitment, the importance of personal touch in recruitment, age discrimination in job interviews, the human aspect of recruiting, and a project to provide computers and education resources to schools in India's poorest regions.
Remote work increases productivity
Data shows that remote workers are more productive due to time saved on commuting and fewer interruptions.
AI can enhance talent acquisition
AI can be used in recruiting tasks such as generating interview questions and writing rejection emails with empathy, improving speed and accuracy.
Tech recruitment is challenging but rewarding
Tech recruitment involves forming relationships and changing lives, but personal touch is crucial for a positive experience.
Age discrimination in job interviews
Age discrimination is a real issue in job interviews, highlighting the importance of believing in the people being represented.
The human aspect of recruiting
Recruiting involves understanding candidates' personal dynamics, which cannot be replaced by technology.
Project for technical literacy in India
A project aims to provide computers and education resources to schools in India's poorest regions, increasing representation and changing lives.
- Hearst Company Overview
- Remote Work and AI in Talent Acquisition
- AI in Recruitment and Personal Touch
- Recruiting and Human Dynamics
- Project for Technical Literacy in India
Hearst Company Overview
00:06 - 07:29
- Hearst is a 135-year-old company with a diverse portfolio of magazines and media publications.
- During COVID, Hearst did not lay off any employees, which is a selling point for candidates.
- Private companies like Hearst have more flexibility in avoiding layoffs compared to public companies.
- Hearst diversifies its investments into other industries to mitigate risks and share resources.
- The talent teams at Hearst collaborate and support each other in recruiting efforts.
- Certain roles, like design jobs, benefit from an office environment for collaboration.
- For product and engineering roles, remote work is feasible and has been adopted by Hearst.
- Some executives believe that remote workers may take advantage of the situation by working multiple jobs or gaming the system.
Remote Work and AI in Talent Acquisition
07:00 - 14:48
- Some executives believe that employees may be taking advantage of remote work.
- Stories emerged during COVID about people working multiple jobs and using multiple laptops to game the system.
- However, data shows that remote workers are actually more productive because they save time on commuting and avoid interruptions.
- Companies like Google saved over a billion dollars by not leasing office space when employees started working from home.
- The main reason companies are pushing for a return to the office is because of long-term leases and financial decisions, but COVID has permanently changed the mindset of employers and employees regarding where and how to work.
- Tony gave a presentation to Hearst executives on how AI can be used in talent acquisition, demonstrating its capabilities in recruiting tasks such as generating interview questions and writing rejection emails with empathy.
- The executives were impressed by the speed and accuracy of AI-generated responses, but also raised concerns about legal ramifications and disclosure requirements.
- Further discussions with legal were held to address trust issues, human oversight, and potential disclaimers for using conversational AI.
AI in Recruitment and Personal Touch
14:29 - 22:03
- AI is still evolving and there are many unanswered questions about bias, copyright infringement, and plagiarism.
- Companies like Hearst are exploring how to use AI in constructive ways to enhance recruiters' abilities.
- Chat GPT is meant to kickstart work, not replace it. Recruiters should add their personal touch and make it more meaningful.
- Tony started in engineering but moved into recruitment due to the time demands of starting a family.
- Tech recruitment can be challenging but also rewarding in terms of the relationships formed and lives changed.
- Changing jobs has a significant impact on one's life, including social connections and career trajectory.
- Believing in the company and hiring manager is crucial for a positive recruitment experience.
Recruiting and Human Dynamics
21:41 - 28:40
- Believing in the company and hiring manager is crucial for a positive work experience.
- Recruiting should focus on believing in the people being represented.
- A story about hiring an older African-American woman as a cybersecurity engineer.
- Age discrimination is a real issue in job interviews.
- Being a recruiter involves understanding candidates' personal dynamics.
- Recruiting has a human aspect that cannot be replaced by technology.
- The interviewee is working on a project to provide computers and education resources to schools in India's poorest regions.
- Access to computers can change lives and increase representation of underrepresented groups.
- The project involves setting up technology labs, developing websites, and providing free learning resources.
- The financing for the project is not mentioned.
Project for Technical Literacy in India
28:23 - 32:07
- The financing for the project is primarily through personal fundraising, with Hurst matching the contributions.
- Hurst gives back program allows for a 100% match of the funding raised.
- The goal is to buy more computers and expand to more schools in rural India.
- Contributions from others are welcome and will be tracked transparently.
- The funding will be used solely for purchasing computers.
- The project's progress will be shared on social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.
- In India, Chromebooks may cost around $200 due to taxes and vendor prices.
- Listeners are encouraged to consider contributing to provide technical literacy access to children in Bangalore.
- Hired is sponsoring the podcast and empowering connections between companies and tech/sales candidates.