Patrick Sirmeyer: Success in Recruiting - From Order Taker to True Consultant
The episode covers Luxus Plus, a multivertical recruitment firm based in Florida. It explores their transition to remote work, evolving recruitment strategies, harnessing the power of LinkedIn, lessons learned in recruitment, industry trends, and improving recruitment processes and client relationships.
Remote work became necessary for everyone during the pandemic
Luxus Plus transitioned to remote work in 2019, before the pandemic hit. When the pandemic hit in March 2020, remote work became necessary for everyone.
LinkedIn is a powerful platform for recruitment
Luxus Plus focuses on branding efforts and interacting with their network on LinkedIn. Posting regularly and personalizing messages have been found to increase response rates.
Building relationships and networks is crucial in recruitment
Becoming an expert in the people being recruited and building relationships are essential for success as a recruiter.
Alternative recruitment options are gaining popularity
There is a shift towards offering alternative recruitment options beyond contingency services, such as contained and retained recruitment.
Agencies should propose exclusive partnerships based on quality
Engaging multiple agencies on a contingent basis increases the chances of paying fees twice for the same candidate. Agencies should propose exclusive partnerships based on quality rather than speed.
- Luxus Plus: A Multivertical Recruitment Firm
- Adapting to Remote Work and Evolving Recruitment Strategies
- Harnessing the Power of LinkedIn for Recruitment Success
- Lessons Learned and Best Practices in Recruitment
- Exploring Recruitment Strategies and Industry Trends
- Improving Recruitment Processes and Client Relationships
Luxus Plus: A Multivertical Recruitment Firm
00:06 - 06:54
- Luxus Plus is a multivertical recruitment firm based in Florida, led by CEO Patrick Sirmaya.
- The company offers multiple services within their specialty industry and faces little competition in Central Florida.
- Luxus Plus transitioned to remote work in 2019, before the pandemic made it more common.
- Initially, there were challenges with some staff members adapting to remote work, leading to turnover.
- However, when the pandemic hit in March 2020, remote work became necessary for everyone.
- Patrick Sirmaya leans towards remote work due to its efficiency and ability to schedule time effectively.
- Managing people and metrics remotely has been a work in progress for Luxus Plus.
Adapting to Remote Work and Evolving Recruitment Strategies
06:33 - 13:10
- Online training has improved over the years, with regular virtual meetings and a video library of training modules.
- Clear definition of daily goals is crucial for remote work success.
- Activity KPIs are still measured, but focus has shifted to back-end KPIs related to interviews, offers, and placements.
- Cold calling is less effective in recruiting, so alternative methods like voicemail drops and LinkedIn messages are used.
- Recruiters now need strong communication skills as well as copywriting skills to attract attention before conversations.
Harnessing the Power of LinkedIn for Recruitment Success
12:50 - 19:56
- LinkedIn is a key platform for Luxus Plus to interact with prospects and build their brand.
- The company follows the example of Joel Lousie, a well-known recruiter, in focusing on branding efforts and interacting with their network on LinkedIn.
- Posting regularly on LinkedIn and tracking the results in terms of interaction and responses is encouraged.
- Personalization and referencing other people in messages have been found to increase response rates.
- Success stories, especially those involving competitors or similar job candidates, have the highest response rate in business development messaging.
Lessons Learned and Best Practices in Recruitment
19:33 - 26:29
- The speaker has experienced various failures throughout their career as an individual producer, manager, and business owner.
- Becoming an expert in the people being recruited is crucial for success as a recruiter.
- Building relationships and networks is essential, rather than just being an order taker.
- The phrase 'hire for attitude, train for skills' is a guiding principle for the speaker.
- Researching and consulting with clients about their requirements and flexibility is important before starting recruitment.
- Resetting client expectations by showing them what they can't afford helps define what they really mean by terms like 'All Star'.
- Having a relationship with a client where you can reset expectations shows good upfront work as a recruiter.
- Benchmarking candidates early on helps reveal the truth about hiring managers' evaluation process.
- Calibration calls can be used to align expectations and evaluate candidate profiles.
Exploring Recruitment Strategies and Industry Trends
26:04 - 32:41
- Automation, such as using chat GPT and AI, has been explored for various tasks in the recruiting process but hasn't had a significant impact on the business yet.
- Chat GPT can be useful for generating standardized content for SEO purposes, but struggles with personalized writing.
- There is a shift towards offering alternative recruitment options beyond contingency services, such as contained and retained recruitment.
- The rise of dedicated recruitment departments within companies has created opportunities for different entry points into the market to solve employers' problems.
- Moving away from contingent recruiting is seen as a positive move due to the time, effort, and risk involved.
Improving Recruitment Processes and Client Relationships
32:13 - 38:12
- Contingent recruiters undersell their services by working for free until they find a perfect candidate.
- Agencies should stop offering their services for free and ask clients to invest in the recruitment process.
- By putting money down, both agencies and clients have skin in the game and are motivated to find the best candidate.
- Retained recruiters actively source passive candidates instead of just running ads and sending resumes.
- Agencies need to present themselves as valuable and not sell themselves short.
- Engaging multiple agencies on a contingent basis increases the chances of paying fees twice for the same candidate.
- Agencies should propose exclusive partnerships based on quality rather than speed.
- Some agencies prioritize quantity over relationship development, which can lead to unethical practices like submitting candidates without consent.
- Employers should demand ethical practices from agency recruiters, such as obtaining consent from candidates before submission.