Talent & Growth presented by The Animo Group
The Recruiting Future Takeover. AI and what to do about it… with Matt Alder, Host of The Recruiting Future Podcast
Tue May 30 2023
AI's impact on recruitment
00:02 - 19:43
- AI is impacting recruitment through automation and assessment.
- Automation could go much deeper into the recruitment process than previously thought possible.
- Short term impact of AI on recruitment is overblown, but we need to think about long-term impacts on our industry.
- Recruitment using AI is possible, but there are nuances for different types of recruitment and organizations.
- AI can do most admin and repeatable tasks, and some volume hiring is already run by conversational AI.
- New technology will always create new roles and opportunities, but the issue of AI displacing more jobs than it creates needs to be addressed at a government level.
- There may be an organization within the next 18 months who will remove recruiters from their processes altogether.
Talent shortages and changing hiring practices
00:02 - 06:36
- Talent shortages are driving change in how employers think about talent, leading to new hiring practices like fractional hiring.
- Despite layoffs due to economic challenges, many companies plan to hire in the second half of the year.
The future of recruitment with AI
06:06 - 25:46
- People are still at an experimental stage with current interfaces, but the medium-term impact of AI is potentially vast.
- Encouraging people to get out of short term thinking and consider what the future of their organization or team could look like with AI in recruitment.
- Companies that move quickly and change with AI will succeed in the future.
- One-person recruitment businesses can use tools like scheduling and copywriting to compete with larger companies and save money.
- People who upskill in ways to save a business money through AI and automation will stand out in TA.
- Automation within recruitment processes requires a great understanding of what tools are available and how they impact candidate experience.
- Quality communication is cited as a massive issue in candidate experience, but automation can improve it when done well.
- Technology can improve communication experiences by letting humans do the bit.
Ethical concerns and rethinking recruitment
25:30 - 32:46
- AI can create less biased hiring processes, but there are concerns about who checks for bias and the need for transparency in decision-making.
- Ethical concerns around AI in recruitment include cheating/faking applications, blame allocation, and outdated recruitment processes.
- The pace of technological change is not slowing down, so we need to rethink our approach to recruiting.
- We should focus on fundamental skills and abilities rather than specific technical knowledge.
- Jeffrey Hinton's resignation from Google is a significant event that highlights the potential dangers of AI.
- People in recruitment or TA should stay up-to-date with emerging technologies like chat GPT, but also think about the long-term implications for their industry.
- It's important to get hands-on experience with new tools while also considering their impact on the future.
39:00 - 40:54
- Stay up to date with the podcast Recruiting Futures
- Sign up for the monthly newsletter on recruitingfutures.com
- The newsletter is a place for additional thoughts and information beyond the podcast
- Follow and subscribe to the Talent and Grow podcast
- Share the podcast with friends or on social media to attract top guests