The Digital Deep Dive With Aaron Conant
Understanding a Digital First Creative Strategy
The episode covers the importance of digital first creative, content strategy and optimization, unlocking efficiency through creative, consolidation and efficiency in advertising, optimizing content for different platforms, influencers and streaming ads, the evolution of advertising, and AI applications in marketing. It emphasizes the need for efficient and targeted creative that considers the platform and audience journey. The episode also explores the role of testing and experimentation in fine-tuning advertising strategies and the potential of AI in marketing.
Efficiency is key
Efficiency is now a priority in advertising, leading to the need for creative optimization. Brands are shifting their focus towards efficiency, profitability, and margin control.
Testing and learning
Testing existing content based on data can inform future shoots and content creation. Controlled experiments help brands fine-tune their advertising strategies and guide future creative efforts.
Content for different platforms
Different social media platforms require different content strategies based on tone, aspect ratio, and intent. TikTok, in particular, requires a tie-in with the social community and understanding of trends.
Influencers and streaming ads
Influencers have a significant influence on their audience on platforms like Instagram and TikTok. Streaming TV ads are becoming more self-service, allowing brands to target specific demographics and locations.
The evolution of advertising
The ability to deliver content in-home and attribute it back to revenue has unlocked new potential in advertising. The convergence of technology enables brands to be truly omnichannel, but it also presents challenges for marketers.
AI applications in marketing
AI algorithms can provide valuable insights and help companies make more informed decisions. While AI has many applications, there are currently no specific plans to roll out AI solutions for clients at the agency.
- Digital First Creative
- Content Strategy and Optimization
- Unlocking Efficiency through Creative
- Consolidation and Efficiency in Advertising
- Optimizing Content for Different Platforms
- Influencers and Streaming Ads
- The Evolution of Advertising
- AI Applications in Marketing
Digital First Creative
00:04 - 06:57
- Digital first creative is a topic of discussion in brand conversations.
- Creative has traditionally been seen as a burden with high costs and limited usage.
- Efficiency is now a priority in advertising, leading to the need for creative optimization.
- Creative should be built specifically for digital performance and consider the platform and audience journey.
- Traditional creative still has a role but needs to be prioritized alongside digital native creative.
- Brands are learning to allocate creative dollars for their digital ventures like Amazon or D2C.
- A holistic approach to content creation saves money by considering all platforms and objectives upfront.
Content Strategy and Optimization
06:28 - 13:01
- Brands need to think from the ground up when it comes to content strategy, considering all the places it can go and its impact.
- Creative should be the driver of revenue, not just a cost center.
- Efficiency and good content are crucial for conversion and increasing ROI.
- Testing existing content based on data can inform future shoots and content creation.
- Content needs to be built to stop the scroll and capture attention at different stages of the funnel.
- Evaluation of creative should consider thumbstop rate, engagement metrics, and click-through rates.
- Agencies often lack the team or skill set to focus on creative marketing.
Unlocking Efficiency through Creative
12:39 - 19:48
- Creative is an important and often overlooked aspect of marketing that can unlock efficiency and increased returns.
- Brands are shifting their focus from pie-in-the-sky goals to a more concerted effort towards efficiency, profitability, and margin control.
- Financial pressure is pushing market areas to justify every dollar spent, leading to increased emphasis on areas that actually work.
- Testing and learning through controlled experiments helps brands fine-tune their advertising strategies and guide future creative efforts.
- Creative can be done in-house with a change in mindset, skill set, and tool set.
- Brands should have more control over their creative by separating prospecting from retargeting audiences.
- Data received from advertising should be useful for evaluating new prospects versus existing customers.
- QBRs (Quarterly Business Reviews) help analyze what worked and what didn't in the creative funnel, identifying content gaps that need to be filled.
- Frankenstein content combines different types of content seamlessly to engage users effectively.
- Evergreen content allows brands to have a broader voice, run longer campaigns, and test new messages while maintaining efficiency.
Consolidation and Efficiency in Advertising
19:27 - 26:10
- Evergreen content allows for a broader voice and can be placed in multiple parts of the pipeline, increasing efficiency.
- Tech stack rationalization and service provider rationalization are trends due to tightening budgets.
- Efficiency and effectiveness are driving the consolidation of agencies.
- Having one core team that communicates with all solutions reduces fragmentation in marketing.
- Managing advertising across platforms helps align goals and avoid competition between teams.
- Consolidation improves communication efficiency and forecasting for clients.
Optimizing Content for Different Platforms
25:58 - 33:20
- Efficiency of communication is important for planning, forecasting, and driving client success.
- Not all brands are ready to appreciate the efficiency of streamlined processes.
- Different social media platforms require different content strategies based on tone, aspect ratio, and intent.
- TikTok requires a tie-in with the social community and understanding of trends.
- Weekly TikTok content needs to tap into what's popular right now.
- Quick turnaround is crucial for TikTok content creation.
- Blue Wheel hires up-and-coming social media participants to create user-generated content with quick turnaround.
- Content creation for Instagram, website, and PDP pages depends on various factors and goals.
- Common mistakes include underestimating the value and potential of TikTok as a resource for information and communities.
- Organic TikTok content can lead to record sales for certain brands in specific communities like hair care.
- The cost per follower on TikTok is currently lower than on Instagram.
Influencers and Streaming Ads
32:56 - 40:06
- Instagram and TikTok are platforms where influencers can have a significant influence on their audience.
- TikTok is not only used for entertainment but also as a search engine for various topics.
- Niche and unique products have better opportunities on TikTok due to the engaged communities within the platform.
- Streaming TV ads are becoming more self-service, allowing brands to target specific demographics and locations.
- Attribution tracking is a crucial aspect of streaming ads, enabling brands to measure the effectiveness of their campaigns.
- Localized and hyper-targeted creative content increases conversion rates in streaming ads.
- Digital advertising allows for different messaging based on individual interests and needs.
- Delivering content in-home through OTT platforms provides an opportunity to attribute revenue more accurately.
The Evolution of Advertising
39:41 - 47:15
- For the longest time, digital has been seen as a great opportunity for advertising.
- Now, with the ability to deliver content in-home and attribute it back to revenue, there is even more potential.
- The investment in teams and studios reflects the importance of this evolution in advertising.
- Marketing is becoming more efficient with the emergence of attribution software and plugins like Triple Whale for Shopify.
- Conversations between Amazon and Shopify about sharing data are moving in a positive direction, allowing for better understanding of attribution between websites and Amazon.
- This will unlock omni-channel marketing and improve effectiveness across all channels.
- The convergence of technology is enabling brands to be truly omnichannel, something they have always wanted but lacked the ability to track and accommodate.
- While marketing may be more challenging now, it separates the skilled marketers from the rest and encourages strategic thinking and leveraging resources effectively.
- The erosion of the middle layer in business impacts strategy development as experienced mentors are being replaced by individual experts who lack a holistic understanding of how different marketing tactics fit together.
- The complexity of emerging tech stacks combined with increasing responsibilities makes it difficult for digital marketers to keep up with evolving trends.
- AI is being used for tasks like writing product descriptions but still requires human editing and refining to ensure brand alignment.
- The development of AI that can create assets like videos in real time will be an interesting area to watch.
AI Applications in Marketing
46:52 - 50:28
- Real-time data analysis can provide valuable insights for companies in various industries, such as fashion.
- AI algorithms can help companies make more informed decisions, such as choosing the right product design and size.
- AI tools are being integrated into different departments to improve efficiency, but it's important to have a solid foundation before implementing them.
- Creative teams can use AI for generating scripts and moodboarding, but AI still struggles with creating new images and video editing.
- AI video content creation is still in its early stages and often produces chaotic results.
- AI chatbots like GPT for Excel can be incredibly useful in generating formulas based on questions.
- While AI has many applications, there are currently no specific plans to roll out AI solutions for clients at the agency.