Talk Talent To Me
Utilizing AI in Recruitment: Activision Blizzard Director of Talent Sourcing Justin Ghio
Thu May 11 2023
AI in Recruiting
00:00 - 17:18
- Justin Guillot from Activision shares how his sourcing team is leveraging AI tools for their daily recruiting work.
- AI in the recruiting space is about making it work for you and understanding its limitations.
- AI can speed up processes and ideation without replacing what we do.
- Common talent activities that can be AI-sourced include natural language processing to save time on search and typing.
- AI can save time by recognizing similar job titles and automating actions like moving candidates to different stages of the hiring process.
- AI doesn't have to be sophisticated or advanced, it can be as simple as basic if-then programming.
- Boolean search will remain a differentiating skill set for sourcers, but those who don't use AI technology to speed up their iteration process will be left behind.
- Activision uses AI for skill adjacency in hiring and finding ways to bring in new candidates that could be great fits for the organization.
- The AI looks at peers of individuals at organizations and sees what skills they have to help understand what questions need to be asked.
- Technology can identify skills that candidates have but didn't include on their resume.
- The technology infers skills based on a candidate's work history and suggests questions to ask during the interview process.
- AI in HR tech is often overhyped, but it can be useful for automating simple tasks like scheduling reminders.
- AI will never replace human conversations or decision-making in talent acquisition.
- Activision uses 8fold.ai as their CRM provider and platform for talent intelligence.
- The goal of using technology in talent acquisition is to allow recruiters more time for human interactions and decision-making.
Explainable AI and Bias
17:01 - 22:30
- AI is trending towards explainable AI to avoid bias and ensure fairness.
- Professionals should ask vendors how the AI works, why it works that way, and what can be done to change it.
- It's important to understand the underpinnings of AI to leverage it effectively.
- Human oversight is necessary to prevent biased hiring based on bad historical data.
- To make a case for using AI internally, professionals should explain where the technology stops and human input begins.
Ideation and Communication
22:07 - 25:16
- Chat GPT can be used for rapid iteration and as a starting block for ideas in talent acquisition.
- Throwing tasks at automation software like Chat GPT can help generate ideas and overcome writer's block.
- Trying different things can help overcome writer's block and generate new ideas.
- Offloading tasks to automation software can save time and accelerate ideation in TA.
- It's important to consider the human aspect of communication, even in rejection emails.
- The best career advice is to look for opportunities to improve, even if it means moving away from what you're good at.